Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Books, Authors and a Zombie..

Sometimes I dread the spell authors can have over me. Like I am their zombie carrying around their book like it possessed me. Totally, that is. They can make me sit through the night with my body aching on all counts, pleading me to keep that book away and go to sleep but I will still go on. Seriously, who controls me here??

This is not something that has cropped as a disease now. I think I have been hard wired to be zombied by authors. It started off with Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. When going to school included a 7 km bicycle ride and a 30 minute school bus trip to reach school one way, I have spend most of my standing time in the bus with a book in one hand and lost in detective findings. I was one of those rare (not sure if it was really rare) creatures who would make a list of all the books in a series and check mark them as and when I complete each one of them.

The next one on the zombie list is no surprise - at least, for a major percentage of the reading population. Before you move any further, I declare myself a Potter fan. So, if you have heard enough of Harry Potter, please skip this, else continue. Being an adult when the Potter fever was everywhere, I totally believed that it was for kids. I didn't bother to even turn towards Potter-mania, until the day I said to myself - 'Let me try'. And I am so thankful that I did after all the books in the series were out. Otherwise, I don't know what would have happened to me during the wait for the next book. Another author who totally zombied me with her lesser known 'The Casual Vacancy' too.

The list continues with A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Fault in our Stars, The Goldfinch.. The list goes on - the zombie and her authors...

Note: A post half drafted in 2014 and completed today. Just to know my own heights of procrastination.

No comments: